A - What are Open Badges and why would I use them?
Module A is designed for two weeks
B - Who are using badges and how do we ensure quality in badge initiatives?
Module B is designed for two weeks
C - How do I design badges?
Module C is designed for two weeks
D - Round-up and review of Employers’ Engagement with Open Badges
Module D is designed for two weeks
A0 Activity: Your Badge Story
We have all followed unique pathways to the jobs (or courses, apprenticeships, situations) we are in. Having a clear sense of this pathway can help us to identify key elements that led us to our current situation or skills that could open up other career possibilities. The choices we have made in terms of learning experiences will impact our journey, including qualifications, hobbies, interests, volunteering, jobs, travel etc.
Open Badges is a standard that enables us to capture and share our achievements across the web. In this activity we are going to ask you to chart your life story in terms of badgeable moments. A couple of examples of people who have charted badgeable moments, with some narrative about their story, are provided in the stories of Brian B and Matt B. Their stories are presented in the form of badges they might have gained for the things they have done in their lives.
Story 1 of Brian B
Story 2 of Matt B
You can you can complete the ‘Your badge story’ template in terms of the badges you might gain for your skills or just by noting your hobbies, qualifications etc.
- On a ‘Your badge story’ template, chart your skills journey by noting badgeable moments you have had in your life. Include qualifications, hobbies, interests, volunteering, jobs, travel and any other interesting skills details. Even if you don’t see something as a skill but it is something you have dedicated time to, note it on the template as it can provide an insight into what motivates you or any area in which you have a skill but don’t realise it
- Write your name on the template
- Share this with your peers here or on twitter with the #OBNMOOC hashtag and ask them to tell you any other skills they think you have.
- Add these additional skills to your template.
- Access the forum for this activity here.
- When you feel you have finished this activity, push the Complete button below.